News: The Ministry of Power released a revised draft of the Electricity Amendment Bill 2020 which seeks to amend Electricity Act 2003
- Electricity Contract Enforcement Authority (ECEA): the draft proposes creation of an ECEA. It would adjudicate on matters regarding performance of obligations under a contract related to sale, purchase or transmission of electricity.
- National Renewable Energy Policy: It proposes a National Renewable Energy Policy to promote generation of electricity from renewable sources of energy.
- National Load Despatch Centre will be responsible for optimum scheduling and despatch of electricity across different regions.
- Cross-border trade of electricity has also been specified in the draft
- It calls for privatisation of discoms (distribution companies) by way of sub-licensing & franchisees.