News: Union Food Ministry has said that the free food grains under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana were distributed to up to 75 crore beneficiaries during April-June period.
- Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana: It was announced as part of the relief package during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Aim: To ensure sufficient food for the poor and needy during the coronavirus crisis.
- Ministry involved: The program is operated by the Department of Food and Public Distribution under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
- Features: Under the scheme, about 81 Crore National Food Security Act(NFSA) beneficiaries are being provided with an additional quota of free-of-cost foodgrains (Rice/Wheat) at a scale of 5 Kg per person per month over and above their regular monthly entitlement.
- Duration: The scheme was to run for three months from April to June,2020.However, it has now been extended till November 2020.