- The President of India has presented the Gandhi Peace Prize for the years 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.The Gandhi Peace Prize was presented to a) the Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari for 2015; b) jointly to the Akshaya Patra Foundation and the Sulabh International for 2016; c) to the Ekal Abhiyan Trust for 2017; and d) to Shri Yohei Sasakawa (from Japan) for 2018.
- Vivekananda Kendra, a Spiritual Oriented Service Organization, has been awarded for its contribution in promoting self-help, sustainability and development throughout India, especially in tribal areas.
- The Akshaya Patra Foundation, an NGO for children, has been awarded for efforts in advancing education and cognition by working to remove hunger and enhance nutrition.
- The Sulabh International, a non-profit voluntary social organisation, has been a sanitation pioneer and has advocated the merits of sanitation and use of toilet.
- The Ekal Abhiyan Trust, a NGO, has been awarded for its contribution in education sector and help children especially girls access education.
- Yōhei Sasakawa, the World Health Organization Goodwill Ambassador for Leprosy Elimination, has been instrumental in helping India prevent and eradicate leprosy.
- Gandhi Peace Prize for Social, Economic and Political transformation through Non-violence is an annual award instituted in the year 1995. The award is dedicated to the ideals and principles of peace and harmony propagated by the Mahatma Gandhi. The Jury of the Gandhi Peace Prize is a high level committee headed by the Prime Minister of India.
2 min read