News:Indian Agricultural Research Institute(IARI) has released a new variety of wheat named Pusa Yashasvi.
About Pusa Yashasvi:
- Pusa Yashasvi is also called as HD-3226.
- It has higher genetic yield potential as compared to other varieties of wheat.
- Pusa Yashasvi has a higher content of zinc, protein, and gluten which will contribute to the strength and elasticity of the dough.
- The best feature of this variety of wheat is that it is highly resistant against all major rust diseases such as yellow rust among others.
- Yellow rust is a fungal disease which manifests as powdery yellow stripes on leaves.
- These stripes hinder photosynthesis make the grains shrivel and stunt growth of the plant.
- It is a serious disease which has been threatening wheat cultivation in the country the past few years.
- All the wheat growing states like Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, the tarai region of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and the low lying areas of Jammu and Kashmir are susceptible to the disease.