News:A scientific paper by Google has claimed that quantum processors have reached the regime of quantum supremacy.
- The research has found that quantum processor took 200 seconds to perform a calculation that would have been accomplished in 10,000 years by the world’s fastest supercomputer named Summit.
What is Quantum Supremacy:
- The phrase quantum supremacy was coined in 2011 by John Preskill, Professor of Theoretical Physics at the California Institute of Technology.
- It refers to a quantum computer solving a problem that cannot be expected of a classical computer in a normal lifetime.This relates to the speed at which a quantum computer performs.
Difference between Traditional computers and Quantum computers:
- The thing that differentiates a quantum computer from a traditional computer is the way the two store information.
- The traditional computer stores information in the form of bits that can take only two values, zero or one.
- On the other hand, quantum computer stores it in the form of quantum bits (qubits) that can take on various combinations of zero and one.
About Quantum bits:
- Quantum bit (qubit) is the smallest unit of quantum information which is the quantum analog of the regular computer bit used in the field of quantum computing.
- A quantum bit can exist in superposition which means that it can exist in multiple states at once.
- Compared to a regular bit which can exist in one of two states, 1 or 0, the quantum bit can exist as a 1, 0 or 1 and 0 at the same time.
- This allows for very fast computing and the ability to do multitudes of calculations at once, theoretically.