News:Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM) system has been successfully flight-tested from Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the Odisha coast.
- Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM) system has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The missile is equipped with indigenously developed phased array radar, inertial navigation system, data link and radio frequency seeker.
- The missile uses uses solid-fuel propellant and has a range of around 25-30 km.
- The missile is an all weather weapon that is capable of tracking firing with precision.It is also capable of engaging in multiple targets.
Significance of the missile:
- India is placed at a geographical location where it has hostile neighbours such as Pakistan and China.
- Hence,it was important to develop another missile system rather than relying on a single Air defence system like Akash.
About Akash missile:
- The Akash is a medium range Surface-to-air missile with multi-target engagement capability.The missile has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The missile has a strike range of 25 km.It can reach an altitude of 18 km and can be fired from both tracked and wheeled platforms.
- The missile is capable of neutralizing advanced aerial targets and in striking down enemy fighter jets and drones effectively.