- Rajya Sabha has passed the Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorised Occupants) Amendment Bill,2019.
- The Bill amends the Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorised Occupants) Act,1971.The Act provides for the eviction of unauthorised occupants from public premises in certain cases.
- The Bill defines residential accommodation as the occupation of public premises by a person on the grant of a license for such an occupation. The license must be given for a fixed tenure or for the period the person holds office.
- The Bill adds a provision laying down the procedure for eviction from residential accommodation.It requires an estate officer to issue a written notice to a person if he is in unauthorised occupation of a residential accommodation.
- If the person fails to comply with the order,the estate officer may evict such person from the residential accommodation and take possession of it.
- However,if the person challenges the eviction order passed by the estate officer in court,he will be required to pay damages for every month of such occupation.
2 min read