News:The Indian Red Cross Society is starting a database of people who have recovered from Covid-19 so that they can be potential plasma donors for convalescent plasma therapy(use of blood from the recovered patients to treat severely sick patents).
- Indian Red Cross Society is a voluntary humanitarian organization established in 1920 under the Indian Red Cross Society Act.The act was amended in 1992 and rules were formed in 1994.
- Aim: To provide relief in times of disasters/emergencies and promote health & care of the vulnerable people and communities.
- It is also a leading member of the largest independent humanitarian organization in the world, the International Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement.
- The President of India is the President and Union Health Minister is the Chairman of the Society.
- National Managing Body: It consists of 19 members with the Chairman and 6 members nominated by the President and the remaining 12 are elected by the state and union territory branches through an electoral college.