- The International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent has announced that it would begin impartially distributing humanitarian aid in Venezuela. Venezuela has been experiencing an unprecedented humanitarian crisis which has led to forced mass migration of many.
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is an organization which provides humanitarian relief. It was founded in 1919 in Paris in the aftermath of World War I.
- Venezuela has been facing socio-economic crisis and biggest problem faced by Venezuelans is hyperinflation which has made even basic need items unaffordable.
- Further, the country is undergoing a severe political crisis over the issue of presidentship. In January, President Nicolás Maduro, was sworn in to a second six-year term in office. However, the leader of the legislature, Juan Guaidó, declared himself acting president and said he would assume the powers of the executive branch.
- Maduro had condemned the action and termed it as a ploy by the US to oust him. The US views Guaido as Venezuela’s legitimate leader and has imposed sanctions on Venezuela.
- The economic and political crisis in the country have aggravated in recent months leading to a humanitarian crisis.
2 min read