News:Tamil Nadu Dr.MGR Medical University has developed a vaccine candidate i.e potential vaccine against SARS-CoV-2(Covid-19) through ‘reverse vaccinology’.
- Reverse Vaccinology: It is the name given to the examination of the genome of an organism in order to identify novel antigens and epitopes that might constitute vaccine candidates.
- This process is done with the aid of computers and without culturing any microorganism.
- Genome: It is the complete set of genetic information in an organism.It provides all of the information the organism requires to function.
- Antigen: It is a toxin or other foreign substance which induces an immune response in the body especially the production of antibodies.
- Epitope:It is a portion of a foreign protein or antigen that is capable of stimulating an immune response.