- Railway Protection Force(RPF) has launched a program called “Operation Thirst”.
- The program aims to stop selling of unauthorised Packaged Drinking Water (PDW) in railway premises.
- During the operation,which was carried out on 8 and 9 July 2019 fines were imposed on those found guilty and many were arrested.The bottles were seized under section 144 and section 153 of Indian Railway Act.
- Further,stalls on platforms were also found selling packaged drinking water bottles of brands which are not authorised by the Indian Railway.
- The RPF is a security force established by the Railway Protection Force Act,1957.It was established for the better protection and security of railway property.
- RPF has the power to search, arrest, investigate and prosecute but the ultimate power rests in the hands of the Government Railway Police.The force is under the authority of the Indian Ministry of Railways.
1 min read