- Russia will help in 4-5 critical areas of the Gaganyaan Mission. This includes training of Indian astronauts at Russian facilities.
- A special ISRO unit will be established in the embassy in Moscow to facilitate increased cooperation between India and Russia in view of the Gaganyaan programme
- Gaganyaan is India’s first Human Space Flight Programme to be launched by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) by 2022.
- The programme will make India the fourth nation in the world to launch a Human Spaceflight Mission. So far, only the USA, Russia and China have launched human spaceflight missions.
- Space launch vehicle, GSLV MK III will be used for the Gaganyaan mission. It has been modified to fit a crew module and life support to carry astronauts to space.
- Russia has conducted a number of human spaceflight missions viz. the Vostok program, Voskhod program, Soyuz program. Vostok 1 in 1961 was the first human orbital flight and Yuri Gagarin became the first man in space.
2 min read