News:Bipul Behari Saha has been elected as a bureau member of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) for the period 2020-23.He is the only second Indian after CNR Rao to be elected for this position.
- The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry(IUPAC) was established in the year 1919.It is headquartered in Zürich,Switzerland.
- It has the responsibility of naming all new elements and compounds, declare atomic weights and physical constants, update Periodic table and carry out research projects.
- It is an international federation of National Adhering Organizations that represents chemists in individual countries.It is also a member of the International Council for Science(ICSU).
About Periodic Table:
- The Periodic Table was first published by the Russian scientist Dmitry Mendeleev in 1969.
- The table is an arrangement of all the elements known to man in accordance with their increasing atomic number and recurring chemical properties.
- There are 118 confirmed elements in the periodic table.Hydrogen is the lightest element with its atomic weight 1.Uranium is the heaviest naturally occurring element with an atomic weight of 238.
Note:The United Nations had designated 2019 as the International Year of the Periodic Table (IYPT2019) to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the Periodic Table.