News:Recently,the Indian Coast Guard(ICG) has conducted the National level Search and Rescue Exercise(SAREX-2020) in Goa.
About the exercise:
- The exercise has been conducted biennially since 2003 by Indian Coast Guard under the aegis of National Maritime Search and Rescue Board(NMSARB).
- Aim:To test the efficiency of operations and coordination of the stakeholders involved in Search and Rescue in the Indian Ocean Region.
- Theme: Harmonization of Maritime and Aeronautical Search and Rescue named ‘HAMSAR’.
- Further,the exercise witnessed the participation of around 24 overseas observers from 19 countries.
- National Maritime Search and Rescue Board (NMSARB) was constituted by the union government in 2002 with the Director General of Indian Coast Guard(ICG) as its Chairman.
- The board coordinates the National Search and Rescue Plan in accordance with the provisions of International Conventions.