News:The number of LED street lights in the country has doubled from 49 lakh in March 2018 to 1 crore on October 1,2019.These lights are being installed under the Street Lighting National Programme(SLNP).
About Street Lighting National Programme(SLNP):
- Street Light National Programme(SLNP) is an initiative of the Government to promote energy efficiency in the country.
- The programme has been launched in 2015 to convert conventional street and domestic lights with energy efficient LED lights.
- It aims to replace 3.5 crore conventional street lights with energy efficient LED lights.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited,a Public Energy Services Company under the administration of Ministry of Power,Government of India(GoI) is the implementing agency for SLNP.
Objectives of SLNP:
- Mitigate climate change by implementing energy efficient LED based street lighting
- Reduce energy consumption in lighting which helps DISCOMs to manage peak demand
- Provide a sustainable service model that obviates the need for upfront capital investment as well as additional revenue expenditure to pay for procurement of LED lights
- Enhance municipal services at no upfront capital cost of municipalities.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited(EESL) is a joint venture of four National Public Sector Enterprises– NTPC Limited,Power Finance Corporation Ltd(PFC),REC and POWERGRID.It was set up under the Ministry of Power.
- EESL is a Super Energy Service Company(ESCO) and leads the market-related activities of the National Mission for Enhanced Energy Efficiency(NMEEE),one of the eight national missions under the Prime Minister’s National Action Plan on Climate Change.