- India has decided to construct a “state-of-the-art” passenger terminal building for the Kartarpur corridor.The passenger terminal building (PTB) complex will have all the necessary passenger amenities to facilitate pilgrims intending to visit the Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara.
- The Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) has been given the responsibility for constructing passenger terminal.Its mandate is to build and operate integrated check posts along the land borders of the country
- The Kartarpur Corridor is a 4km long proposed corridor comprising border gates,road and a bridge to link Dera Baba Nanak gurdwara in Gurdaspur district in India to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur in Pakistan.It is aimed at allowing the easy movement of Sikh pilgrims to the Kartarpur gurdwara.
- The gurdwara in Kartarpur stands on the bank of River Ravi, about 120 km northeast of Lahore.It is revered as Guru Nanak’s final resting place.
- Pilgrimages between India and Pakistan are governed by the 1974 Protocol on Visits to Religious Shrines.The Kartarpur Corridor, which will provide visa-free access from India to the shrine inside Pakistan, may need a separate treaty.
2 min read