- The United States is pursuing China to support the listing of Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) Chief Masood Azhar by the UNSC 1267 Committee.
- The US, the UK and France have moved a fresh proposal in the UN Security Council to designate Pakistan-based terror group JeM’s chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist under UNSC 1267 Committee.
- It is the fourth such bid at the UN in the last 10 years to list Azhar as a global terrorist after China has repeatedly used its veto power to block the proposal.
- The UNSC 1267 Committee was established as a result of resolution 1267 (1999).If an individual or an organisation is included in the list, it leads to(a)countries to freeze the targeted group’s or individual’s assets (b)ban designated individuals from travelling and (c)prevent the supply of weapons, technology and other aid.
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations. It is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security.
- The Security Council consists of fifteen members. Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, and the United States—serve as the body’s five permanent members.The Security Council also has 10 non-permanent members, elected on a regional basis to serve two-year terms.
2 min read