- The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Bill,2019 has been passed in the Parliament.
- The bill amends the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act,1967 providing special procedures to deal with terrorist activities, individuals and groups that foster terrorism in India.
- The bill empowers the government to designate individuals as terrorists if (a)the person commits or participates in acts of terrorism (b)prepares for terrorism (c)promotes terrorism or (d)otherwise involved in terrorism.
- The bill also empowers the Director-General of National Investigation Agency(NIA) to grant approval of seizure or attachment of property when the case is being investigated by the agency.
- Under the existing Act,the investigating officer is required to obtain the prior approval of the Director General of Police(DGP) to seize properties that bear any connection to terrorism.
- The bill also empowers the officers of the NIA of the rank of Inspector or above to investigate cases.
- The existing Act provides for investigation of cases to be conducted by officers of the rank of Deputy Superintendent or Assistant Commissioner of Police or above.
- The International Convention for Suppression of Acts of Nuclear Terrorism(2005) has also been added in the Second Schedule through the Amendment.
2 min read