News:Recently,Union Minister of Human Resource Development(MHRD) has adopted the Quality Improvement Programme Mandate developed by UGC to improve the quality in higher educational institutions
About the Quality Improvement Programme Mandate:
- The quality mandate aims at evolving higher education system to equip the country’s next generation with vital skills, knowledge and ethics for leading a rewarding life.
- The mandate was developed by the University Grants Commission (UGC) which contains 5 documents covering the 5 verticals of Quality Mandate.
About the 5 verticals of Quality Mandate:
- Evaluation reforms:UGC has published Evaluation Reforms in Higher Educational Institutions in India in order to make student assessment more meaningful, effective and linked to ‘Learning Outcomes’.
- Eco-friendly and Sustainable University Campuses:The SATAT Framework encourages universities to adopt reflective policies and practices to enhance the environmental quality of the campus and to adopt sustainable green and sustainable methods in its future.
- Human Values and professional ethics:UGC has also developed a policy framework named MulyaPravah which are Guidelines for Inculcation of Human Values and Professional Ethics in Higher Educational Institutions.
- Faculty Induction Programme:The Guidelines for Guru-Dakshata – A guide to Faculty Induction programme(FIP) aims to sensitise and motivate the faculty to adopt learner centred approaches, ICT integrated learning and new pedagogic approaches to teaching-learning, assessment tools in higher education.
- Academic Research and integrity:UGC has set up a Consortium for Academic and Research Ethics (UGC-CARE) to continuously monitor and identify quality journals across disciplines.
- The University Grants Commission of India (UGC India) is a statutory body set up by the Indian Union government in accordance to the UGC Act,1956 under Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- It is charged with coordination,determination and maintenance of standards of higher education.It provides recognition to universities in India and disburses funds to such recognised universities and colleges.