News: On World Cities Day, UN-Habitat has released the World’s Cities Report 2020: The Value of Sustainable Urbanization.
- About the report: The report aims to show the intrinsic value of sustainable urbanization and how it should be harnessed for the wellbeing of all.
- World Cities Day: It was designated by the United Nations General Assembly on 31st October with the aim to promote the international community’s interest in addressing challenges of urbanization.Theme of 2020 is “Valuing Our Communities and Cities“.
- Urban October: It was launched by UN-Habitat in 2014 to emphasize the world’s urban challenges and engage the international community towards the New Urban Agenda.
- Sustainable Development Goal 11: It formulates the ambition to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable – underlying the relevance of UN-Habitat’s mission.
- World Cities Day Global Observance: It was hosted virtually in Kenya under the general theme “Better City, Better Life” with a sub-theme focused on “Valuing our Communities and Cities”.
- United Nations Human Settlements Programme(UN-Habitat): It was established in 1978 as United Nations agency for human settlements and sustainable urban development.Headquarters:Nairobi,Kenya.