- The UN Security Council (UNSC) condemned the terror attack perpetrated by Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), in a show of solidarity and support to India.
- France is also expected to move a proposal, along with the United States and the United Kingdom, to declare Masood Azhar a terrorist subject to UNSC sanctions under Resolution 1267, which includes JeM, the outfit he founded.
- In 2016, India was joined by the P3 countries – the US, the UK and France and in 2017, again a similar proposal was moved at the UN. China, however, has always blocked the proposals from being adopted.
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations. It is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security.
- The Security Council consists of fifteen members. Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, and the United States—serve as the body’s five permanent members.The Security Council also has 10 non-permanent members, elected on a regional basis to serve two-year terms.
2 min read