- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) has conferred Sasakawa Award 2019 for Disaster Risk Reduction to Pramod Kumar Mishra,Additional Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister of India
- He was awarded for his dedication to improve the resilience of communities most exposed to disasters.
- Sasakawa Award is jointly organized by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction(UNDRR) and the Nippon Foundation.
- The Award recognizes individuals, organizations and initiatives that have contributed to ensure inclusive participation in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) activities for all sections of society, especially the poor.
- The theme of the 2019 Sasakawa award was “Building Inclusive and Resilient Societies”.The Award gives a maximum of US $50,000 to one or more winners.
- The award was founded in 1986 by Chairman of the Nippon Foundation.He had established the following three prizes (a)World Health Organization Sasakawa Health Prize (b)UN Environment Programme Sasakawa Environment Prize and (c)Nations Sasakawa Award for Disaster Reduction.
7 min read