News:Union Minister for Health has inaugurated the ‘2019 World Conference on Access to Medical Products: Achieving the SDGs 2030.’
About the Conference:
- The World Conference on Access to Medical Products- Achieving the SDGs 2030 will be held in New Delhi.
- It is being jointly organized by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- It is organized in collaboration with the Indian Council of Medical Research(ICMR), Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) and Translational Health Science and Technology Institute (THSTI).
Objectives of the conference:The specific objectives of the conference are to:
- Explore new approaches in the innovation landscape in medical products for achieving Universal Health Coverage and the SDG 2030 goals
- Identify regulatory mechanisms for improved access to quality and safe medical products
- Discuss the legal and trade landscape in the context of access to medical products.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR),New Delhi is the apex body in India for the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research.
- It is funded by the Government of India through the Department of Health Research, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council(BIRAC) is a not-for-profit Public Sector Enterprise.
- It was set up by Department of Biotechnology (DBT),Ministry of Science and Technology Government of India
- It aims to empower the emerging biotech industry to undertake strategic research and innovation.
About Sustainable Development Goals(SDGs):
- The Sustainable Development Goals(SDGs) were born at the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro in 2012.
- The objective was to produce a set of universal goals that meet the urgent environmental, political and economic challenges facing the world.
- The SDGs are a bold commitment to finish what the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) started and tackle some of the more pressing challenges.