News: Union Tribal Affairs Minister has e-launched the tertiary processing centre of “Trifood Project”.
- Trifood Project: It is an initiative of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs in association with the Ministry of Food Processing(MoFPI).
- Aim: To enhance the income of tribals through better utilization of and value addition to the Minor Forest Produce(MFP) collected by the tribal forest gatherers.
- Implementation: It is being implemented by Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India(TRIFED).
- Minor Forest Produce(MFP): The Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers Act,2006 defines minor forest produce as all non-timber forest produce of plant origin.It includes bamboo, brushwood, stumps, canes, cocoon, honey, waxes, Lac, tendu leaves, medicinal plants, roots among others.
- TRIFED: It was established in 1987 to provide a good price to the products made or collected from the forest by the tribal people.It functions under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal affairs.