News: Union Food Processing Minister has virtually inaugurated Mizoram’s first mega food park named “Zoram Mega Food Park”.
- Zoram Mega Food Park: It is located in Khamrang village in Mizoram. The project is being executed under the Mega Food Park Scheme.
- Mega Food Park Scheme: The scheme was launched in 2008-09 by the Ministry of Food Processing Industries.
- Aim: To provide a mechanism to bring together farmers, processors and retailers and link agricultural production to the market so as to ensure maximization of value addition, minimization of wastages and improving farmers’ income.
- Funding: It provides a capital grant subject to a maximum of Rs.50 crore per project.
- Approach: It has a Cluster based approach which is based on a hub and spokes model.
- Implementation: It is implemented by a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) which is a Body Corporate registered under the Companies Act.
- Features of the park: A Mega food Park consists of infrastructure for primary processing and storage near the farm in the form of Primary Processing Centres(PPCs) and Collection Centres(CCs) and common facilities and enabling infrastructure at Central Processing Centre(CPC).