- Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO) successfully test fired the PINAKA guided WEAPON rocket system from Pokhran range in Rajasthan.
- Pinaka rocket systems was named after Pinaka,the bow of Lord Shiva.
- Pinaka Mark I is an indigenous multi-barrel unguided rocket launch system for firing of multiple warheads.It was used in the 1999 Kargil conflict.It has a range of 40 km.
- Pinaka Mark I was later transformed in to a short-range precision guided missile and thus renamed as Guided Pinaka – Mark II.It has high accuracy and equipped with a navigation, guidance and control system with a range of 70 to 80 km.
- The weapon system is equipped with state-of-the-art guidance kit comprising of an advanced navigation and control system.The unique feature of the Pinaka versions tested is the integrated avionics system.It consists of an (a)on-board mission computer (b)miniaturised navigation system and (c)telemetry.
1 min read