- The fifth meeting of the Governing Council of NITI Aayog was held under the chairmanship of the Prime Minister at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- Prime Minister has sought the cooperation of states in helping India achieve the target of $5 trillion economy suggesting that each state should aim to increase their own economy by 2-2.5% and focus on exports.
- Prime Minister has also announced the setting up of a high-level task force for undertaking structural reforms in agriculture, including strengthening logistics, produce marketing, food processing as well as changes to the Essential Commodities Act.
- PM also said that there is a need for proper implementation of schemes and decisions as the country is moving towards a governance system characterized by performance, transparency and delivery.
- The NITI Aayog governing council is the premier body tasked with evolving a shared vision of national development priorities,sectors and strategies with the active involvement of states in shaping the development narrative.
- The council reviews the action taken on the agenda items of the previous meeting and deliberates upon the future developmental priorities.
6 min read