- The European Space Agency (ESA) recently tested a device which is designed to assist in astronaut rescue missions on the surface of the Moon. The test was among preparations for NASA’s 2024 Artemis Mission
- The device is called the Lunar Evacuation System Assembly (LESA). LESA is a pyramid-like structure.
- It can be operated by a single astronaut to help rescue an injured astronaut on the surface of the moon. It will enable an astronaut to lift their crewmate onto a mobile stretcher in less than 10 minutes, before carrying them to the safety of a nearby pressurised lander.
- ARTEMIS stands for Acceleration, Reconnection, Turbulence and Electrodynamics of the Moon’s Interaction with the Sun. It will be a manned moon mission.
- The Artemis mission includes establishing of lunar outpost, investigating the Moon’s resources and how they might be exploited and using it a base to explore Mars and further into deep space.
6 min read