- The central government has decided to launch Jal Shakti Abhiyan in 255 water-stressed districts. The programme will run from July 1st to September 15th 2019.
- Jal Shakti Abhiyan is a time-bound, mission mode, water conservation and irrigation efficiency campaign for water security in rural India.
- It aims at making water conservation and promotion of irrigation efficiency a ‘jan andolan’ (public campaign) through asset creation and communication campaigns.
- The intervention areas include: a) Water conservation and rainwater harvesting, b) Renovation of water bodies, c) Renovation of bore well recharge structures, d) Watershed development and e) intensive afforestation.
- 255 officers, including additional and joint secretaries, have been appointed as ‘central prabhari officers’. They have been made in-charge of the chosen districts to plan ways to conserve water.
6 min read