- According to World Health Organization(WHO) report on World Hepatitis Day on July 28,it has found that viral hepatitis kills 4 lakh people every year.
- The report has said that investing $6bn per year in eliminating hepatitis in 67 low and middle-income countries would avert 4.5 million premature deaths by 2030.
- The report has also said that total of $58.7 billion is needed to eliminate viral hepatitis as a public health threat in these 67 countries by 2030. This means reducing new hepatitis infections by 90% and deaths by 65%.
- The report has also called on all countries to invest in eliminating hepatitis through costing,budgeting and financing of elimination services within their universal health coverage plans.
- The report has also said Bangladesh along with Bhutan,Nepal and Thailand in South-East Asia Region has been able to achieve Hepatitis B control.
- Viral hepatitis is an inflammatory condition of the liver caused by five known hepatitis viruses — A, B, C, D and E.Hepatitis B and C are transmitted by unsafe injection practices,infected blood and blood products,sexual transmission and from mother to child. Th infections may lead to cirrhosis and liver cancers.
2 min read