News: United Nations Office of Drugs and Crimes(UNODC) has released the World Drug Report 2020 on the occasion of International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime(UNODC): It was established in 1997 through a merger between the United Nations Drug Control Programme and the Centre for International Crime Prevention.
- Aim:To assist Member States in addressing the issues of drugs, crime and terrorism.
- Headquarters: Vienna, Austria.
- International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking: The day is observed on June 26 since 1987 to raise awareness of the major problem that illicit drugs represent to society.The theme for 2020 is “Better Knowledge for Better Care”.
- Education for Justice Initiative: It was launched by the UNODC in 2019 to prevent crime and promote a culture of lawfulness through education activities designed for primary, secondary and tertiary levels.