News: United Nations (UN) Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has said in a booklet that people globally should eat healthy diets for a zero hunger world. The booklet has been released ahead of World Food Day on October 16.
About World Food Day
- World Food Day is celebrated every year on 16 October in honour of the date of the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- It was established by FAO’s Member Countries at the Organization’s 20th General Conference in November 1979.
- The days seeks to raise awareness about the issues behind poverty and hunger.
- The theme of 2019 World Food Day is “Our Actions Are Our Future, Healthy Diets for A #Zero Hunger World.” With the theme, the FAO aims to create awareness about healthy diets and how sustainable diets can help eradicate hunger and malnutrition.
- The FAO has defined healthy diets as one that meets the nutritional needs of individuals by providing sufficient, safe, nutritious and diverse foods to lead an active life and reduce the risk of disease.
- The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to combat hunger.
- It was established in 1945. It is headquartered in Rome, Italy.