News: World Population Day is observed annually on 11 July.
- Aim: To focus attention on the urgency and importance of population issues.
- Origin: The day was established in 1989 as an initiative taken by the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Theme: “How to safeguard the health and rights of women and girls now.”
- United Nations Population Fund(UNFPA): It is the United Nations sexual and reproductive health agency.It aims to deliver a world where every pregnancy is wanted,every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled.
- Headquarters: New York, United States.
- Report: State of World Population Report.
- International Conference on Population and Development(ICPD): It is a 1994 meeting in Cairo,Egypt where 179 governments adopted a revolutionary Programme of Action and called for women’s reproductive health and rights to take centre stage in national and global development efforts.