News: World Urdu Conference 2020 is being organised by the National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language(NCPUL).
- Origin of Urdu Language: The origin of Urdu language had taken place in India several centuries back and historical references indicate that it had taken place in Punjab state of India.
- The poet Ameer Khusro, in his book ‘Ghurrat-ul- Kamal’ had written that Masood Lahori, a poet born in Lahore in the 11th century had composed poetry in Hindvi(Urdu) which is also called Dehlavi.
- How did it develop and flourish? Historians said that it had developed and flourished in Delhi during the period of ‘Delhi Sultanate’ from 12th to 16th century and then during the period of ‘Mughal Empire’ in Delhi from 16th century to 19th century.
- Urdu Official Status in India: It is one of the official languages under the Constitution of India.It is also one of the official languages in states like Kashmir, Telangana, UP, Bihar, New Delhi and West Bengal.
- National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language: It is an autonomous body formed in 1996 under the Ministry of Education.It was set up to promote, develop and propagate the Urdu language.