- The Henley Passport Index 2019 has been recently released.
- The index has ranked India at 86th position.India’s mobility score is 58 which means that Indian passport holders can access 58 countries around the world without a prior visa.
- As per the Index,Japan and Singapore have the world’s most powerful passports.Both the countries secured top position out of 199 countries, due to passports which allow visa-free or visa-on-arrival travel to 189 places.
- Further,South Korea has been ranked in second place on the index along with Finland and Germany with citizens of all three countries having access to 187 destinations around the world without a prior visa.
- The UK and the US now share sixth place,the lowest position either has held since 2010.The pair was top of the list in 2014.
- Henley and Partners’ annual passport index ranks passports based on the number of countries a holder can go to without a visa or the number of countries a holder can go to where they can obtain a visa,visitor’s permit, or electronic travel authority upon arrival.
- The ranking is based on exclusive data from the International Air Transport Association(IATA) which maintains the world’s largest and most accurate database of travel information.
2 min read