- China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) has come under criticism at the annual political sessions of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) and the National People’s Conference (NPC).
- The main criticism stems from China giving out huge loans valued at billions of US dollars to small countries for infrastructure development over and beyond their capacity to pay back.
- The Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) is a political advisory legislative body in the People’s Republic of China.The organisation consists of delegates from a range of political parties and organisations,as well as independent members.
- The National People’s Congress is the national legislature of the People’s Republic of China.With 2,980 members in 2018,it is the largest parliamentary body in the world.
- China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) is an ambitious programme to connect Asia with Africa and Europe via land and maritime networks along six corridors with the aim of improving (a)regional integration, (b)increasing trade and (c)stimulating economic growth.
2 min read