News:The Delegation of European Union (EU) to India has launched the Youth Climate Conclave.
About the Youth Climate Conclave:
- The Youth Climate Conclave will be held as part of the World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS), 2020.
- The project is organised by the EU together with German development agency(GIZ), Energy and Resources Institute(TERI) and Council on Energy, Environment and Water(CEEW).
- The Ministry of Environment,Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), Government of India is the nodal ministry for this conclave.
- The conclave will have sessions that involve informing youth about the key issues related to climate change mitigation and adaptation and agreement such as Paris Climate agreement will be explained.
About World Sustainable Development Summit(WSDS):
- The World Sustainable Development Summit is the annual flagship event of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
- It is the sole Summit on global issues taking place in the developing world.
- It provides a platform for global leaders and practitioners to discuss and deliberate over climatic issues of universal importance.
- It strives to provide long-term solutions for the benefit of the global community by assembling the world’s most enlightened leaders and thinkers on a single platform.
- It is continuing the legacy of Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS) which was initiated in 2001 with the aim of making ‘sustainable development’ a globally shared goal.
- The theme for WSDS 2020 is Towards 2030: Making the Decade Count.
- The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) is a non-profit research institute.
- It conducts research work in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development for India and the Global South.
- It was established in 1974 as the Tata Energy Research Institute and renamed to The Energy Resources Institute in 2003.
- The Council on Energy, Environment and Water(CEEW) is a Delhi-based not-for-profit policy research institution.It was founded in 2010.
- The research areas of CEEW include (a)resource efficiency and security (b)water resources (c)renewable energy and (d)sustainability finance among others.
- The think-tank also advises the Indian government on the above research areas.