Skip to content
- Recently,the General Council of the Sangeet Natak Akademi has announced its awards in the field of performing arts for the year 2018.
- The Akademi has selected table maestro Zakir Hussain,classical dancer Sonal Mansingh, dancer Jatin Goswami and scientist K Kalyanasundaram Pillai as Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellows.
- The Sangeet Natak Akademi is India’s national academy for music, dance and drama.
- It was created by a resolution of the then Ministry of Education, Government of India in 1952 with Dr P.V. Rajamannar as its first Chairman.
- It is presently an Autonomous Body of the Ministry of Culture, Government of India and is fully funded by the Government for implementation of its schemes and programmes.
- The Akademi is responsible for the establishment and maintenance of institutions and projects of national importance in the field of performing arts.
- The awards given by Akademi are:Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships (Akademi Ratna), Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Akademi Puraskar) and Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Puraskar.