- Government has said that 20 states and Union territories have joined a pan-India network of Emergency Response Support System (ERSS).
- The Emergency Response Support System (ERSS) envisages a single pan-India emergency number ‘112’, which is an internationally recognised number to target all types of emergencies.
- The features of ERSS are (a)single number for emergency services which is similar to ‘911’ in the United States (b)It is an integration of police(100),fire(101) and women(1090) helpline numbers.
- Further,on pressing the number,the system would identify the location of the person in distress connecting through voice or data and immediate assistance would be provided.
- In addition to ensure the safety of women a SHOUT feature has been introduced in 112 India mobile app to seek immediate assistance from registered volunteers in the vicinity apart from the immediate assistance from Emergency Response Centre (ERCs).The SHOUT feature is exclusively available to women.
- This project is being implemented under Nirbhaya Fund, which was set up by the central government for projects specifically designed to improve the safety and security of the women.
2 min read