- A member of NITI Aayog has said that it has come up with a policy on artificial intelligence (AI) and cyber security. The policy would be taken up in the Union Cabinet soon.
- AI refers to the ability of machines to perform cognitive tasks like thinking, perceiving, learning, problem solving and decision making. Cyber security is the protection of internet-connected systems, including hardware, software and data, from cyber-attacks.
- In 2018, the NITI Aayog had put forward a discussion paper titled “National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence-#AIforAll”. The paper focusses on how India can leverage the transformative technologies to ensure social and inclusive growth in line with the development philosophy of the government.
- In the paper, NITI Aayog identified 5 cores areas for application of artificial intelligence: a) Healthcare, b) Agriculture, c) Education, d) Smart cities and Infrastructure and e) Smart Mobility and transportation.
- NITI Aayog had recommended setting up two-tiered structure for AI research- a) Centre of Research Excellence (CORE) focused on developing a better understanding of existing core research and pushing technology frontiers through creation of new knowledge and b) International Centres of Transformational AI (ICTAI) for developing and deploying application-based research.
- It has also called for skilling and Re-skilling of workforce to help in adoption of AI, supporting start-ups, close collaboration between industry, academia, trade bodies and venture capital.
- Further, it advocated that the role of government should be one of a facilitator, an active promoter and wherever required, of an owner to leverage AI potential and ensure ethical and responsible AI development and adoption.
5 min read