- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has launched Swachh Survekshan League 2020. It is a quarterly cleanliness assessment of cities and towns in India. Further, it will be integrated with the Swachh Survekshan 2020.
- Swachh Survekshan League 2020 has been introduced with the objective sustaining the on ground performance of cities along with continuous monitoring of service level performance in the matter of cleanliness.
- It will be conducted in 3 quarters, i.e. April- June, July – September and October- December 2019. Each quarter will have a weightage of 2000 marks. 25% weightage of the quarterly assessments will be included in the annual survey in January 2020.
- The evaluation will be done on the basis of monthly updation of SBM-U online MIS by cities and citizen’s validation on the 12 service level progress indicators through outbound calls.
- Ranks will be assigned in two categories: a) cities with population of 1 lakh and above and b) cities with population of less than 1 lakh. Launched in 2016, Swachh Survekshan is annual cleanliness survey of urban India conducted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs under the aegis of Swachh Bharat Mission- Urban (SBM-U). A separate Swachh Survekshan (Gramin) is conducted in rural areas by Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- The objective of the Swachh Survekshan survey is to a) encourage large scale citizen participation and create awareness about cleanliness, b) inculcate a spirit of healthy competition among cities and towns towards creating cleaner cities/towns.
- Indore (Madhya Pradesh) was awarded the cleanest city in India in the Swachh Survekshan 2019. The second and third positions in the cleanest city category went to Ambikapur (Chhattisgarh) and Mysore (Karnataka)
7 min read