News:The Southern Transitional Council(STC),a separatist group in Yemen has declared self rule in the Port city of Aden and other southern provinces.
- Aden is situated along the north coast of the Gulf of Aden and lies on a peninsula enclosing the eastern side of Al-Tawāhī Harbour.
- In 2015, it was declared as the temporary capital of Yemen.
- Gulf of Aden:It is located in the Middle East with Yemen to the north, Somalia to the south and the Arabian Sea to the east.It is connected to the Red Sea by the Bab el Mandeb strait.
- Bab el-Mandeb Strait:It is a chokepoint between the horn of Africa and the Middle East.It is located between Yemen, Djibouti and Eritrea and connects the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden and the Arabian Sea.
- Socotra Island: It is part of North Indian Ocean located between the Guardafui Channel and the Arabian Sea.It is officially part of Yemen.In 2008, it was recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.