News:The Animal Welfare Board of India(AWBI) has urged state governments to ensure that animals do not suffer in the wake of COVID-19 lockdowns across the country.
- It is a statutory advisory body under Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (PCA) Act,1960.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- Aim:To prevent the infliction of unnecessary pain or suffering on animals.
- Composition:The Board comprises 28 Members including 6 MPs (4 from Lok Sabhas and 2 from Rajya Sabha)
- Rukmini Devi Arundale pioneered the setting up of the Board.