News: NASA’s Antarctic Impulsive Transient Antenna(ANITA) have detected high energy particles from ice in Antarctica.
- ANITA instrument: It is a radio telescope to detect ultra-high energy cosmic-ray neutrinos from a scientific balloon flying over the continent of Antarctica.
- ANITA is also the first NASA observatory for neutrinos of any kind.
- How does ANITA detect Neutrinos: The ANITA instrument detects these ultra-high energy neutrinos by use of the Askaryan effect.
- Askaryan Effect: It predicts the production of a coherent radio emission from the cascade of particles produced in a high-energy particle interaction
- Neutrinos: They are subatomic particles with no electric charge and with a very small mass.They are considered to be the second most abundant particle in the universe after photons or light particles.