- The Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises has inaugurated the 3rd International Electric Vehicle(EV) Conclave at the International Centre for Automotive Technology(ICAT).
- Addressing the Conclave,the minister said that the National Electric Mobility Mission will be implemented in phases based on feedback from the auto industry.
- The National Electric Mobility Mission Plan(NEMMP) 2020 is a mission document providing the vision and the roadmap for the faster adoption of electric vehicles and their manufacturing in the country.
- The minister has also promised support to the industry on policy matters to ensure smooth and efficient transformation of the automotive industry from internal combustion(IC) to electric powertrain.
- He also informed that 3 lakh electric vehicles have already been sold under the FAME India Scheme.He said the provision of Rs.10,000 crore have been made for electric mobility in the Union Budget of 2019-20.
- Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles (FAME) scheme is part of the government’s two-pronged strategy to place India as a key driver in the global mobility revolution.
- The strategy is to (a)boost domestic manufacturing by insisting on a minimum of 50% local content in e-vehicles and (b)create massive size and scale for electric vehicles in the country to make the investments made in the sector viable.
- The International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) is a leading world class automotive testing,certification and R&D service provider under the aegis of NATRiP(National Automotive Testing and R&D Infrastructure Project),Government of India.
3 min read