News:Vietnam is chairing a Special Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit via video-conference due to Coronavirus pandemic.
- The ASEAN is a regional grouping which was established in 1967 with the signing of the Bangkok Declaration.
- Members: Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, The Philippines, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, Brunei, and Laos.
- Headquarters: Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Chairmanship: It rotates annually based on the alphabetical order of the English names of Member States.
- East Asia Summit(EAS): It was established in 2005.It comprises ten member states of the ASEAN countries along with 8 members namely Australia, China, Japan, India, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, Russia and the United States.
- ASEAN Plus Three (APT): It is a forum that was setup in 1997 to function as a coordinator of co-operation between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations(ASEAN) and the three East Asian nations of China, South Korea and Japan.