- The Supreme Court has extended the deadline for publication of the final National Register of Citizens (NRC) for Assam from July 31 to August 31, 2019.
- However, the plea for sample reverification has been rejected. The Centre and Assam had urged the court for a 20% sample reverification of names included in the draft in the districts bordering Bangladesh and a 10% sample reverification in the remaining districts of the State.
- The National Register of Citizens (NRC) is a register which contains the name of all citizens of India residing in Assam. It was prepared in 1951.
- Currently, the NRC is being updated in Assam. It seeks to identify illegal migrants in Assam who had entered the state on or after 25th March 1971.
- The update is being carried out under the Citizenship Act, 1955, and according to rules framed in the Assam Accord, 1985.
- The draft Assam NRC was published on July 30, 2018 in which the names of 2.89 crore of the 3.29 crore people were included.
2 min read