News: Government of India has introduced “The Assisted Reproductive Technology (Regulation) Bill, 2020” in the Lok Sabha.
- Aim: To regulate the assisted reproductive technology(ART) clinics and the assisted reproductive technology banks, prevention of misuse,safe and ethical practice of assisted reproductive technology services.
Key Provisions of the bill:
- National Board: It shall lay down code of conduct to be observed by persons working at ART clinics, to set the minimum standards of physical infrastructure, laboratory and diagnostic equipment and expert manpower to be employed by clinics and banks.
- Regulatory Boards at State Level: The States and Union Territories shall constitute the State Boards and State Authorities.It shall have the responsibility to follow the policies and plans laid by the National Board for clinics and Banks in the State.
- National Registry and Registration Authority: It will maintain a Central database and assist the National Board in its functioning.
- Punishment: The bill also proposes for a stringent punishment for those practising sex selection, sale of human embryos or gametes, running agencies/rackets/organisations for such unlawful practices.
- Assisted reproductive technology(ART): It includes medical procedures used primarily to address infertility.It involves procedures such as In Vitro Fertilization(IVF), gamete donation, intrauterine insemination(IUI) among others.