- A major fire broke out in Bandipur Tiger Reserve which has now spread to Wayanad wildlife sanctuary destroying acres of forest land.
- According to officials the reason for forest fire are(a) lack of summer rain has lead to high temperatures (b) heavy wind and withered undergrowth caused the fire to spread rapidly and (c)human involvement as the fire spread simultaneously in six areas under the sanctuary.
- The Bandipur Tiger Reserve along with the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary and others are part of Nilgiri Biosphere and form one of India’s ecologically diverse regions.
- Bandipur National Park established in 1974 as a tiger reserve under Project Tiger, is a national park located in Karnataka.According to the latest tiger census, Karnataka has the highest tiger population in India.
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary is a second largest wildlife park in Kerala and was declared under Project Elephant in 1992.
1 min read