- Bangladesh has halted issuance of visas to Pakistani nationals.It was stopped after the Bangladesh diplomat’s visa-extension application has not been cleared by the Pakistan government.
- Pakistan has delayed the renewal of the visa after Bangladesh had refused to accept the nomination of the new high commissioner of Pakistan to Bangladesh for over a year.
- Tensions between Pakistan and Bangladesh had increased after the Bangladesh tribunal had awarded five war criminals the death sentence for committing crimes against humanity and siding with Pakistani troops in carrying out genocide during the Liberation War in 1971.
- In response,Pakistan’s parliament had passed strong resolutions against the hanging of these war criminals on several occasions which Bangladesh considers an interference in its internal affairs.
- In 1971,a civil war had broken out in Pakistan leading to its division after the Pakistan army launched a military operation in East Pakistan to suppress the Bengali speaking people who were seeking independence.
- Indian military intervention ordered by the then prime minister had brought the war to an end and led to Bangladesh’s emergence as a free nation.
5 min read